Collection: Silent Service (NES)

Grabbed this one recently for a few bucks at a swap meet. Quite possibly one of the worst official Nintendo Entertainment System games out there, Silent Service (developed by Rare, published by Konami in 1989) is a port of the ’85 submarine simulator from Sid Meier.

Is it really that bad, you ask? Well, yes and no. By today’s standards it is pretty bad. But even back then it was unimpressive. I’ve always been interested in WWII games and I wanted so much to enjoy Silent Service, but it was mediocre at best. I think the fact that I was into this kind of game made it playable, but for the casual gamer I wouldn’t say this offered anything but regrets. It wasn’t exciting and the bugs (or maybe just the technical limitations of the time) held it back. A few convoy hunts was all it took to scratch that itch to sink as much Japanese tonnage as possible in my one-man undersea death-bringer. I thought the coolest touch of the game was the high score list in Morse code!

Luckily it wasn’t too long before I discovered Aces of the Deep from Sierra and loved it. And now I've gotten a bit into Silent Hunter 3. But more on that later…

Have you played Silent Service? What are your thoughts? And if this doesn’t make the list of Top 10 bad NES games, which others do? Let me know in the comments below!
SilentService blog.jpg
[Originally posted on NoLongerPick3dLast]

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments